LINCOLN CITY CHAMBER
The first visitors who traveled to Lincoln City by automobile slogged their way before there were established roads. They came to bask in the summer sunshine and walk the splendid beaches from the Salmon River estuary to Siletz Bay.
Chamber of Commerce History
With the exception of the Taft Grade and High Schools, and a few local churches, the Chamber of Commerce is the longest sustained operating organization in North Lincoln County.The first Taft Chamber of Commerce was formed in January 1928 and since that time there have been several chambers that have organized, reorganized, closed, renamed and combined. Predecessors of today’s Chamber of Commerce include Delake Chamber of Commerce; Delake Community Club; Taft Chamber of Commerce; Oceanlake Chamber of Commerce; North Lincoln County Chamber of Commerce; Devils Lake Chamber of Commerce; Taft-Nelscott Chamber of Commerce; Oregon Coast Ad Club and the 20 Miracle Miles Chamber of Commerce. ‘History of Chamber of Commerce of North Lincoln County’
Lincoln City History
Before the time of European contact and non-Indian settlement, all of the Oregon Coast was home to many Tribes and bands of Native Americans. The area that now is Lincoln City was part of the original Coast (Siletz) Reservation established in 1855.Lincoln City was incorporated on March 3, 1965, uniting the cities of Delake, Oceanlake and Taft, and the unincorporated communities of Cutler City and Nelscott. These were adjacent communities along U.S. Route 101, which serves as Lincoln City’s main street. The name “Lincoln City” was chosen from contest entries submitted by local school children. The contest was held when it was determined that using one of the five communities’ names would be too controversial.